Old 26-10-2010, 01:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] chrisj.doran@proemail.co.uk is offline

Default Ripening Tomatoes

On 25 Oct, 21:14, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Following a really heavy frost last night (-7 just over the hill and -3
in my greenhouse) the tomatoes are looking decidedly unwell. There is
still a good deal of fruit on them, some orange, some yellow and some
still green.

I know that I can pick the orange ones, bring them indoors and ripen
them on a window cill with the help of a banana skin, but what about the
others?

I'm not into chutney so I'm hoping someone has some ideas as to if and
how I can either ripen them or use them.

Ta!

Roger T

700 ft up in mid-Wales

A web search will find recipes other than chutney. The quickest I know
is to fry them in butter, which uses up a lot, as they're mostly
water.

Chris