Old 26-10-2010, 01:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Stubby[_3_] Stubby[_3_] is offline

Default Groundhog/Woodchuck Control

On Oct 26, 6:52*am, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
JB said:

I've got one hanging around. Looks like a squirrel on steroids. Got a
little dog that thinks he's a big dog. He's not seen the GH/WC yet. Our
vet says he'll lose any altercation between the two.

Anyone have any experience with these critters?

Live trap baited with apples. *'Chum' around the outside with cut pieces,
put the motherload in the back of the trap. *

They will sometimes stand their ground and I myself have been charged,
so it's possible they might not run from a small dog (putting it in
danger). *

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." * * --Largo Potter, Valkyria *Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

I had woodchucks years ago. They would get into my garden and get
the tender, green shoots on the new plants. And, they would easily
get over a 2' fence. I tried a Wrist Rocket (sling shot), chasing
them, but not poisons because there are little kids inthe neighborhood
that might decide I was putting out candy. Gopher Gassers started a
ground fire that required a call to the fire department. In the end,
a battery operated electric fence worked. I strung the wire about 8"
off the ground. ALso, I put some fence material in the lawn
(horizontal) to thwart them digging under the fence. Putting used
kitty litter down their holes helped.