Old 26-10-2010, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone someone is offline

Default Pyrus whatthehellisit?

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
In a Norwich soliitor's car park I saw a tree - bushy/small tree growth,
about eight feet high (At present), with long (entire) leaves which
resemble olive leaves in their pubescent pastel effect, though they were
slightly narrower than the olive's.

The fruit is a small pear - around the size of a crab apple, almost
spherical with only a little tapering into the stalk.

Sort of medlar? I asked myself. Nope. The calyx was much too small. No-one
in the office knew, so I took a few pears home.

They retted like a medlar rather than ripened, and the pips had a quincey
look to them. The flesh was pleasantly flavoured (when retted), but it was
littered with gritty nodules which suggested that the tree was never much
use for its fruit.

Anyone any idea what it might be?

Our local cider group has been making cider and perry this past couple of
months, and one of the pears we have been using is a small inedible perry
pear called Blush, found in an orchard on an old farm. The pear is quite
small and round, and we've managed to get about 35 gallons of perry juice
which is on the ferment now. We have been scratting and pressing with local
apples, too, and have over 150 gallons of cider on the go.

Here are some pictures of pears, including one of Blush, as well as an image
of wild pears. Maybe one of them will match your pear.

http://international.stockfood.com/r...lstformats=019

someone