Old 26-10-2010, 08:25 PM
jolly gardener jolly gardener is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jineu21 View Post
I am trying to find the best soil mix for Carex Testacea. I tried giving farm manure (recommended by the nursery I bought it from) but after a week the tips of the leaves started wilting and turning into straws. So I took it out of the ground. Someone in a Web forum said Carex Testaceas don't like much nutrition and just need sandy loam. The plant label says I should use acidic soil improver and general compost. But I am not sure how much I can trust this.

I may treat it like other rock plants, which like sandy soil and peat. But I am not sure if Carex Testaceas like peat. Can someone tell me if this will be good for the plant? Or should I follow what the plant label says?

Thanks.
Hi jineu21, I work in a garden center in New Zealand (where Carex testacea is a native plant.) Using farm manure should be ok to plant them in. However it depends on how much you have put in... a little goes a long way. I have grown hundreds of carex and all I use is a couple of hand fulls of general compost when I plant them. I suspect your problem may be one of three things. 1. To much manure when you planted or 2. lack of drainage. or 3. It has dried out to much.