Old 26-10-2010, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default growmore after a few years

On 24/10/2010 12:48, alan.holmes wrote:
"john wrote in message
Have just discovered some growmore in a plastic bag that has been hidden
away for years. It's very damp inside the bag and it has broken down into
blobs rather than granules.

Would it still have maintained its essential plant food qualities do you
think?

I have one of those as well, and I have wondered about it's use now.

It might have lost a bit of the nitrogen content and obviously will set
like concrete now if you try to dry it, but it should still be OK as a
plant food it just won't be quite what it says on the label any more.

If it smells of strongly ammonia then it will be toxic to some plants
and is best used as a compost activator. Spread widely enough it is OK.

I always buy my Growmore etc when the garden centres are discounting
everything in sight to make room for Halloween and Santas Grotto which
these days seem to coexist side by side. Last years fertiliser is fine.
(obviously better if you store it dry)

Regards,
Martin Brown