Old 27-10-2010, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Don Gray Don Gray is offline

Default Ripening Tomatoes

In message
wrote:

Janet wrote:
Green toms will ripen to red with no assistance; just keep them
somewhere cool so they don't dry out while you wait. My MIL kept hers
under the spare bed in an unheated room.

I've never managed to get them to ripen without turning either wrinkley and
unpleasant looking (although maybe still ok to cook with in place of
sundried??) or looking mottled and blightish.

At the end of the season, we used to ripen all father's remaining
tomatoes in a chest of drawers. They rested, separated from each
other, on old blankets. I never liked tomatoes so I wasn't concerned
whether they ripened or not. but they did.
--
Don