Old 29-10-2010, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gordon H[_3_] Gordon H[_3_] is offline

Default [OT] When should you wear Poppies?

In message , Pete
writes

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

Remember that they are now needing even more to help the servicemen
maimed or mentally scarred in the two recent wars....

I prefer to wear both the red and the white poppies, so I generally
wait till the white ones are available. Unless it goes wrong, as it
did last year, and the white ones didn't show up here at all.

As a "red" seller, could I just ask for clarification of the nature of
these white ones ?

Thanks
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

They are supposed to convey a wish for peace, in addition to the
remembrance of those killed or maimed by war.

Margaret Thatcher despised the idea of white poppies, and the red poppy
lobby say that the red ones also promote peace.
In N Ireland they have an association with Unionists, so there is a
further influence.

I don't remember seeing a white poppy.
--
Gordon H