Old 29-10-2010, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default [OT] When should you wear Poppies?

Pete wrote:
"Gordon H" wrote in message

As a "red" seller, could I just ask for clarification of the nature
of these white ones ?

Thanks
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

They are supposed to convey a wish for peace, in addition to the
remembrance of those killed or maimed by war.

Margaret Thatcher despised the idea of white poppies, and the red
poppy lobby say that the red ones also promote peace.
In N Ireland they have an association with Unionists, so there is a
further influence.

I don't remember seeing a white poppy.
--

Me neither.
Doves are the nearest that have a true white version for peace

They aren't common. You get them from Friends' Meeting Houses, some
churches, and similar evil nests of subversion. Formerly closely
associated with the Peace Pledge Union (which, I think, is still where
they come from), they're now more a vague pro-peace than a full-volume
campaigning statement. As I mentioned, I like to wear both.

-
'620 Mike.