Old 29-10-2010, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Newly planted rhubarb

On 29/10/2010 19:17, Baz wrote:
wrote in :

A couple of weeks ago I planted two crowns of rhubarb, Victoria and
Tiperley Early. They are particularly precious because they're from my
late father's allotment. I have always assumed that rhubarb was fairly
hardy but, with the frosts upon us, I'm worried. Do I need to protect
the crowns from frost? Slugs are already a problem, so I need to deal
with that, but it's the frost issue that's really bothering me and Dr.
Hessayon's advice doesn't seem to cover hardiness ... except in the
matter of forcing.

Hello Spider,
Frost is not a problem with Rhubarb so dont worry.

In fact my dad used to dig up a large crown to split and leave it on top of
the soil to get a propper freezing before he put his shovel through it to
make 2 crowns or even half a dozen, then plant them in the coldest of
winter, and in spring up they come regular as clockwork.

He never used the rule of thumb of not picking the first year, he picked
them when there was a stalk available.
Rhubarb does like lots of manure or compost thrown over them sometime now.

I have some Victoria which I grew from seed from B&Q and this year it has
been brilliant.

Rhubarb also freezes exceptionally well. Just one dip into boiling water to
sterilise, then cool, and into the freezer.

I did have a problem this year with green/blackfly but a quick squirt with
a cheap squeasy(liquid soap) soap solution sorted that little problem out.

Baz

Thanks Baz, that is hugely reassuring! It's good to know it will take a
bit of winter punishment. I went out yesterday and had to *drag* a huge
slug off R. Victoria. UGH! (Have you ever seen a flying slug? :~})
Because slugs often chomp on frost damaged plants, and this slug was in
a hollowed stem, I was convinced something was very wrong. These two
crowns are so precious that I'm going to be paranoid until they sprout
in spring. You have made me feel much better, thanks, and I may even
sleep tonight.

I have been advised only to dress the soil with bonemeal at planting
time to encourage rooting. In spring, I will feed it on chix poo
pellets .. then stand well back :~)

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London