Old 30-10-2010, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default calculating shipping weight for mail order

On 10/27/2010 04:03 PM, Sacha wrote:
If there's a weighbridge handy, you could get one of the staff there to
witness what they really do weigh. Weight will be affected by the type
of compost used, size of the rootball and weight of branches etc. but
the variables shouldn't be huge for plants of that size. It's just
possible that whoever normally deals with such orders is away and a
novice is trying to cope but without being too sure of what's going on!

Rec'd the plants, several were larger than those I ordered ( 2 m) and
clearly this was the reason that against my instructions the plants were
shipped by truck...

Total weight of the 18 plants on arrival was 38.5 kg. (The 3 l pot
weight was 1.5 kg pretty much uniformly, but the several larger ones
pushed the sum up a bit.) So accounting for water the original weight
may have been near 60 kg. The pallet was marked 110, but when I
mentioned this to the driver he responded "never."

I am dealing with the family who owns the nursery directly, but of
course the fellow who deals with orders is not also over-seeing
assemblage etc. Anyway I've written a fairly pointed email, I'll report
on how they respond.

-E