Old 30-10-2010, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default Sweet corn grown in lawn

"George" wrote in message
An amazing and audacious experiement, growing sweet corn in lawn.

My neighbour, who has the run off where I plant a crop of sweet corn every
season, has finally decided at 93 that it is time he moved in to a rest
home. The house is going on the market. No growing in his garden this
year.

My existing raised gardens are fully at present.

So, I have grown sweet corn seedlings and planted them into the lawn.

First I scalped the grass with the lawn mower. I dug a slit into the soil,
like planters do when planting pine trees, and placed the SC seedlings
into the slit and then closed it back up.

The soil is loamy and because it was undisturbed lawn, has good structure.
The soil should be fertile and have enough nutrients in it.

It may need to be irrigated more regularly than in a garden but I can take
care of that.

Anyone have any comments or advice?

I think the new owners might have an opinion, especially if/when it's ready
to harvest.

Steve