Old 30-10-2010, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Sweet corn grown in lawn

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote ..

"Bob Hobden" wrote in

The only problems I can foresee are keeping the lawn cut below/
between the sweetcorn, and getting the plants up once they are
finished. Took me a while to realise your are in NZ, was a bit
confused about planting sweetcorn now (in the UK). It's an age thing.
:-)

Would you need to get the plants up once they are finished?

Cuting them off at or just below ground would be ok? Even be good to
let the roots rot?

Its an interesting idea on a lawn when you might be struggling for
space. Sweetcorn is a very attractive plant I think and for that
reason alone it can be worthwhile looking into next year in the UK.

As you say it might be a problem mowing, and might have to choose the
fertilizer carefully so not to ruin the lawn.

Gawd! Am I planning for next year already! The catalouges arent even
printed yet.

If I suggest planting Sweetcorn on the bit of grass Sue sits on, the
rest being borders and pond, I might well end up under the rhubarb.
:-)

As roadkill? Protect yourself and deny everything.

We have our seed catalogues already, not looked at them yet but they
are here somewhere.

It wont be long before you ask yourself "now where are those catalogues"...

Baz