Old 30-10-2010, 11:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Sweet corn grown in lawn

Pico Rico wrote:
"George" wrote in message
An amazing and audacious experiement, growing sweet corn in lawn.

My neighbour, who has the run off where I plant a crop of sweet corn
every season, has finally decided at 93 that it is time he moved in
to a rest home. The house is going on the market. No growing in his
garden this year.

My existing raised gardens are fully at present.

So, I have grown sweet corn seedlings and planted them into the lawn.

First I scalped the grass with the lawn mower. I dug a slit into the
soil, like planters do when planting pine trees, and placed the SC
seedlings into the slit and then closed it back up.

The soil is loamy and because it was undisturbed lawn, has good
structure. The soil should be fertile and have enough nutrients in
it. It may need to be irrigated more regularly than in a garden but I
can take care of that.

Anyone have any comments or advice?

Does your neighbor mind, or are you trespassing? No mention of
PERMISSION being given.

You sure can perceive the most important aspect of any post, your steel-trap
mind gets right to the relevant point every time. As well as the key legal
and moral issues of our times do you have any wisdom to share over topics
such as soil structure, root competition, interplanting, irrigation, land
use or nutrition of annuals and perenials?

David