Old 30-10-2010, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Sweet corn grown in lawn

wrote:
A light shade, actually, unless you plant it VERY densely!

iirc the planting distance is 2ft (both directions)

I plant at 18"!

Heheh. My sweetcorn (well, Nick's) have always been planted at about 18"
apart at the starting end of the plot, and end up about 6" apart when I get
to the far end.

Not IME.I tried the Three Sisters, and it was nbg even for the bean
sister.I know that works in the USA but sun and light levels are too low
up here.

It works well enough here in the Deep South, but I didn't bother
trying the Three Sisters, because the sweetcorn would deprive the
beans of water, and the beans would deprive the sweetcorn of light.
My climbing beans would quite happily get to 10', and even tall
sweetcorn doesn't get above that here.

I tried it, and it was a total disaster. :-(
I don't know if the timing was off, or if the plants needed to be better
established before planting out, or what, but the beans didn't get anywhere
at all .. think the sweetcorn and courgettes were ok, but that was an
absolutely disasterous year for beans for me.

Always figured - yeah, they may have to share the water, but it would also
mean only one area that needed heavy watering instead of traipsing round
with loads of cans ...