Old 31-10-2010, 03:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George[_14_] George[_14_] is offline

Default Sweet corn grown in lawn

"harry" wrote in message
On 30 Oct, 08:48, "George" wrote:
An amazing and audacious experiement, growing sweet corn in lawn.

My neighbour, who has the run off where I plant a crop of sweet corn
every
season, has finally decided at 93 that it is time he moved in to a rest
home. The house is going on the market. No growing in his garden this
year.

My existing raised gardens are fully at present.

So, I have grown sweet corn seedlings and planted them into the lawn.

First I scalped the grass with the lawn mower. I dug a slit into the
soil,
like planters do when planting pine trees, and placed the SC seedlings
into
the slit and then closed it back up.

The soil is loamy and because it was undisturbed lawn, has good
structure.
The soil should be fertile and have enough nutrients in it.

It may need to be irrigated more regularly than in a garden but I can
take
care of that.

Anyone have any comments or advice?

Rob

Sweet corn needs a good soil to succeed. Most lawns are nitrogen
deficient, panned down and liable to water logging. The exact
opposite to what it needs.

Harry.

The lawn has good clover cover and has been fertilised with organic
fertilisers over the years. I also mulch much of the clippings back in to
it. I am assuming it will be fertile however your comment could well be the
case. Thanks for the comment. Some extra feeding may be required so I will
monitor that. The lawn itself is well draining and doesn't suffer from being
too wet. The soil structure is good.

rob