Old 31-10-2010, 12:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gary Woods Gary Woods is offline

Default cut and-come-again crops

Bill who putters wrote:

A common mistake is to plant too much

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Let me put in a plug for seed saving, with benefits.
A couple of years ago, I grew an heirloom rutabaga (Macomber) for seed.
Easy enough; put a dozen roots in the cold cellar over winter; planted out
early the next spring. Stripped the dry seed pods into a paper shopping
bag the next summer, and as they finished drying they split open, so all I
had to do was occasionally shake the bag to get lots of clean seed at the
bottom.
The bonus: The next spring I had a dense carpet of greens from the seeds
that fell before I harvested the pods. We ate greens all summer, plus a
bunch of sweet rutabagas as the excess plants were thinned out.
Right now, I've got a mass of "Schnittmangelb Gold" baby chard plants from
some that were grown from seed in the summer, then rototilled in after the
seeds were stripped. And a nice second-growth row of kale also
self-seeded.
Time to plant the garlic...