Old 31-10-2010, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Can bamboo be grown with seawater?

On 31 Oct, 09:49, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 31/10/2010 08:14, harry wrote:

On 30 Oct, 21:06, *wrote:
I was in the Middle East and saw charcoal shipped from Africa which got
me thinking. Rather than those Africans loosing trees, I wondered
whether people in ME could have charcoal from the bamboo tree and grown
locally with the salted water that was around me at the time.

--
Zamunda

No. *But mangrove can. *But it's all about economics. * And muslims
don't give a toss about the environment because allah looks after all
that stuff.

There are some fairly salt-tolerant eucalypts around. too. *But as for
mangroves, it would encourage coastal erosion if these were harvested
for charcoal. *They are pretty fussy as to where they will grow, too,
which is why they are only in certain tropical and warm temperate areas.

--

Jeff

Nah . I have seen mangrove swamps/forests in many places in the
tropics.. They are vulnerable to erosion, pollution and being
chopped down for firewood.