Old 31-10-2010, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Deliveries

On 31 Oct, 19:40, Jake wrote:
On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 05:18:05 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill

wrote:

[various bits snipped out]

Going out to Tesco this morning I found a screwed op bit of paper
outside our gates, it was a note from a delivery firm called HERMES,
it had been chewed by slugs or snails and had had a few doses of rain
on it.
I now won't deal with 2 firms that use them, and now there is a 3rd to
go on the blocked list.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

The local Hermes courier here is a lovely lady. She has got to know
the neighbourhood and if someone is not in to *take delivery knows
which other houses to try. She does not leave anything other than with
someone who answers the door.

I think it's all down to locality. You clearly have a less aware
driver!

Here, on the other hand, I won't touch a company that uses CityLink as
its courier. I once ordered some food products - delivered frozen. The
supplier contracted with CityLink for overnight delivery before 10 am
and packed the product in dry ice. At midday, with no delivery, they
reshippped as the product would then have defrosted. Still no delivery
next day. Money refunded. A week later I happened to be in the bedroom
looking out at a CityLink driver (in a plain white van) who sneaked up
the drive and left two boxes in the porch (both required a signature),
didn't ring the door bell or knock the door, simply sneaked back down
the drive and drove off.

And that's not the only local Citylink messup.

As I say, it's locality. Different courier companies perform
differently in different areas. Moan at your suppliers and make sure
they know they won't get your business if they continue to use that
courier. It does work (here the aforementioned supplier now uses a
different courier and no problems).

Jake

Most of the delivery firms here deliver to my neighbour or phone to
see if they can get me first,
We live about 200 yds from the nursery gates so no where to leave a
note, especialy if you have no idea of when things are going to be
delivered, or by whom.
I tried to get the girl at Hermes head office to contact their driver
to tell them to leave anything for us with a neighbour, "We can't do
that, we have a contract with the firm you ordered from".
I did get straight on to the firm that the wife had ordered from and
they are sending a claims form (By Royal Mail I hope), I told them
about our problems with Hermes.
I think my best incident with a delivery firm (Sarcastic "Best") was
when |I had plants on order, I phoned the supplier to find out when
they were being sent off, to be told they had been sent 4 days
previous, and I was given the shipment number and the carriers name.
I phoned them only to be told (You'll like this)....

"We saw that you are a Nursery, and as it's half term we assumed there
would be no one there so we are holding the delivery for you till
after half term".

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries