Old 01-11-2010, 08:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
George[_14_] George[_14_] is offline

Default Sweet corn grown in lawn

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
gloria.p wrote:
George wrote:
.

So, I have grown sweet corn seedlings and planted them into the lawn.

Anyone have any comments or advice?

I thought sweet corn was one of those plants that don't transplant
well as seedlings, but if you've done it before, I guess it will be OK.
Corn also requires a lot of water while growing and that will
accelerate lawn growth. How will you keep the lawn grass from
choking out the plants?
gloria p

The corn should soon rise above the grass so there won't be much sun
competion but you would expect some root competion as corn is also shallow
rooted.

I know a few gardeners who transplant corn into their garden and they don't
seem to have a problem. But then I am not a corn expert and it may not
normally transplant well.

I think I will need to monitor the grass growth through the rest of spring
and see how things go. If a problem I will need to chop it or mulch it.

Watering is the main obstacle noted and I will cater for that as well as
ensure a steady supply of nitrogen.

rob