Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM

Default Help Fish Dying in 55 gal Planted tank

(Bob Alston) wrote in message . com...
Recently my fish have been dying in my 55 gal planted tank. At the
same time, one of my full grown angels has pretty much quit eating.
That and other angels seemed to have the stringy/white colored poop
that I understood was indicative of parasites.

Try dosing every 3 days with traces and KNO3.
NO3 at zero is not good for plants. The K+ will help the plants as
well.
At 3w/gal, you habve a good amount of light, the plants will be
sucking up the nutrients.

If the plants are happy, the fish are always happy.
Plants give off loads of O2 then.

Beyond that, feeding your fish is the only other thing.
Fish in a healthy tank well fed never get diseases.
I have not used medicatioins for 15 years. Haven't needed to.
I drag things in from local rivers, lakes etc and do minimal rinsing
and in the tank it goes so it's not that the fish are not being
exposed.

Many live foods will cause problems. These are expensive also.
I use live food only to coddle fish in the beginning, then I'll only
use Brine and later nothing but frozen and dry, not just one.
Well fed and a good environment will prevent fish from ever getting
disease.

Regards,
Tom Barr