Old 01-11-2010, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dan L[_2_] Dan L[_2_] is offline

Default High Fructose Corn Syrup

Higgs Boson wrote:
Anybody notice that the HFCS lobby has come out with a "cute" new
marketing program to counteract the bad press that this cheap,
unhealthful sweetener has been receiving lately?

Now we're suppose to call it "corn sugar"! The female voice-over says
"Sugar is sugar!"

NOT!

Just another way for the corn-growing states to maximize pork to mix
metaphors badly.

Anybody remember when the whores -- pardon, legislators -- from those
states got everybody, including the ignorant print/electronic media
and the corrupt Bush Administration (maybe back to Clinton?) of, going
ape over ethanol (made from subsidized corn, naturally!) as biofuel?
Thus raising the price of corn for, say, poor Mexicans whose staple
food soared out of sight. So much corn was going into biofuel, I
couldn't even find corn oil at my co-op for years, until the corn-
ethanol scam bubble burst.

The on-line literature on HFCS is extensive; includes recent study
that it may contain mercury.

Many of us label-readers now refuse to buy a product which features
heavy use of HFCS.

Persephone

Yep, we talked about it last week here. I see the commercial on every
"Good Eats" cable show. I am now seeing it on cereal box labels also. We
also mentioned the exact same phrase. "sugar is sugar"? She also states
something like, "The body can't tell the difference"?

Another article that may be of interest by USA today that one in three
will have diabetes by 2050.
http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/hea...tes22_ST_N.htm

Two of my favorite science fiction classic books is "The Space
Merchants, by Fredrick Pohl & C.M. Kornbluth" a 1952 classic. It's about
corporations in the future selling addictive foods and products that are
harmful to human health and saying it's good for you and making bigs
bucks and enslaving the lower class at the same time. These guys were
way ahead of their time. Reading this novel was like reading the current
news during bad old cigarette days.

Another favorite is "Under Pressure by Frank Herbert" a 1955 classic
novel that is about deep under water oil drilling. Another author way
ahead of time.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)