Old 02-11-2010, 01:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Frank Booth Snr[_3_] Frank Booth Snr[_3_] is offline

Default Bare rooted rasbperries arrived in post

chris French wrote:
In message , Frank
Booth Snr writes
But after unwrapping them the roots and soil look very dry. The buds
on the stems look plump and I can see some green on the upper ones.
Does that mean the plants are alive, or are the roots dead, but the
stems are still alive but will die eventually if the roots have dried
out too much?

I assume the roots where wrapped in plastic or inside a plastic bag type
thing? That seems to be the normal way nowadays.

The roots will look a bit dry, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. I
give them a bit of a soak in a bucket of water, and then get them in the
ground ASAP. If you can't plant them, then heel them in until you can,
they will find like that for months if necessary

Yes, they were wrapped up in plastic. Trouble is I unwrapped them on my
balcony, then left it for some days before planting them in today. I had
to buy some compost for a container, but didn'tget around to it until now.

The roots looked boned dry, but some of the the buds looked fresh. What
I really wanted to know is whether the roots would be useless despite
apparent moisture in the canes?