Old 02-11-2010, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Bare rooted rasbperries arrived in post

Baz wrote in
:

Frank Booth Snr wrote:
The roots looked boned dry, but some of the the buds looked fresh.
What I really wanted to know is whether the roots would be useless
despite apparent moisture in the canes?

I had the same worries a few years ago with some raspberry plants,
they were as you describe so I put the roots in buckets of water
overnight and planted them the next day. The following spring they
started off great though no fruit to speak of that year, but have made
up for it since.

Yesterday I bought some gooseberry plants and they were also bone dry
but I have no worries now. Its just how it is these days how ever
sceptical or unsure you feel they will be fine.
I KNOW you wont be convinced until you see them in spring. I was the
same.

Baz

By the way.
My wife has just reminded me that a couple of the bare root raspberry
plants we bought had lumps on the roots which looked like photos I have
seen about club root in cabbages. I was not happy about that so I clipped
them off and chucked them on the compost heap and they grew too on the
heap.
Yes I know that raspberries cant have club root but the lumps looked kind
of un-natural, thats why I clipped them off.

Baz