Old 02-11-2010, 05:11 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another John View Post
Can anyone give me advice on what to do with a very old Potentilla bush.
It must be a good 30 years old. It flowers every year prolifically with
primrose yellow flowers, and we're very fond of it.
I need to lower its height, and preferably improve its
bushiness. I definitely don't want to take it to ground level, unless
that is the advice from this group!
I've never let mine get leggy, so I'm not sure whether you can encourage them to bush out lower down by hacking them back. But certainly in relation to the general thatch at the top I hack mine back pretty hard from time to time and it continues to thrive. Though I have noticed that a smaller-leaf red-flowered one is less vigorous, and can take a couple of years to recover from a hard hacking back.