Old 03-11-2010, 12:12 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default High Fructose Corn Syrup

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

zxcvbob wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
Billy wrote:

Since we seem to have jumped the tracks here anyway, let me just
observe that the only people left in the industrialized world who
don't know about the deleterious health effects of HFCS must be
watchers of FOX NEWS (Murdoch & Co.), and, therefore, supporters of
Glen Beck, and Sarah Palin.

HFCS is not significantly worse than cane sugar or beet sugar or
honey. All four are made up of approximately the same proportions
of glucose and fructose. That doesn't mean HFCS is good for you,
quite the opposite; it means sugar and honey are worse for you than
ppl think.

No. Cane sugar and beet sugar are almost 100% sucrose. I can't lay
my hands on an analysis for beet sugar (which we don't get much
here) but white refined cane sugar is one of the most pure chemical
substances that you will find in your kitchen.

Yes, but sucrose is fructose + glucose.

Bob

True depending on what meaning you give to the "+", in this case it is
false. The compound sucrose behaves chemically quite differently to the
mixture of the two compounds fructose and glucose. Any chemistry textbook
will show you examples of this. The issue being disputed is how human
metabolism reacts in the two cases. For that have a look he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HFCS

David

I think a peek at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose would be more
enlightening.

(1)
Fructose is also seventy-three percent sweeter than sucrose (see 2.1
Relative Sweetness) at room temperature . . .

(2)
"Eating fructose instead of glucose results in lower circulating insulin
and leptin levels, and higher ghrelin levels after the meal.[58] Since
leptin and insulin decrease appetite and ghrelin increases appetite,
some researchers suspect that eating large amounts of fructose increases
the likelihood of weight gain.[59]"

(3)
And then there is
http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/a...dex.xml?sectio
n=topstories

A sweet problem: Princeton researchers find that high-fructose corn
syrup prompts considerably more weight gain.
----

What we have above is (2): fructose increases appetite, which (1) makes
increased sweetness more attractive to the consumer. And (3) that
consumers of HFCS gain weight, even on the comparable diets where
sucrose eaters eating the same number of calories, don't gain weight.

Ten thousand years ago (before agriculture), glucose was mainly consumed
as starch, and fructose consumption was an annual event, coinciding with
the ripening of fruits in the fall.
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude