Old 03-11-2010, 03:04 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dan L[_2_] Dan L[_2_] is offline

Default High Fructose Corn Syrup

zxcvbob wrote:
Dan L. wrote:
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
Billy wrote:
Since we seem to have jumped the tracks here anyway, let me just
observe that the only people left in the industrialized world who
don't know about the deleterious health effects of HFCS must be
watchers of FOX NEWS (Murdoch & Co.), and, therefore, supporters
of
Glen Beck, and Sarah Palin.

HFCS is not significantly worse than cane sugar or beet sugar or
honey. All four are made up of approximately the same proportions
of
glucose and fructose. That doesn't mean HFCS is good for you,
quite
the opposite; it means sugar and honey are worse for you than ppl
think.
No. Cane sugar and beet sugar are almost 100% sucrose. I can't
lay my hands on an analysis for beet sugar (which we don't
get much here) but white refined cane sugar is one of the
most pure chemical substances that you will find in your
kitchen.

Yes, but sucrose is fructose + glucose.

Bob
I do not think that statement is true. One needs to add an acid to
sucrose to form fructose + glucose. So for me soda pop is out.
However, for other baked foods, like cereal, that extra HIGH
fructose corn syrup is not for me. I will take plain non
sweetened cereal and add table sugar to it. I doubt skim milk
has enough acid to completely change the structure of sucrose.
Also why the need for HIGH fructose corn syrup when plain old
regular corn syrup will do? I do use regular corn syrup for
candy making. Also, does the structure of HFCS's have an added
fat molecule attached to the fructose molecule that makes it
different from a regular fructose molecule?

Your *stomach* provides the acid to hydrolyze the sucrose into its
components glucose and fructose, which are then quickly absorbed into
the bloodstream. The glucose causes an insulin reaction and the
fructose does not. The glucose is then used by your whole body as an
energy source or converted into glycogen. The fructose can only be
metabolized by the liver.

Bob

Ok Bob, now if I want to value my liver over my pancreas, would cane
sugar put less fructose in my system over HFCS in my foods?

Would there be less work on my liver if I used regular corn syrup over
HFCS?

Also does the liver covert fructose to fat?
Therefore the structure of fructose is not that far from the structure
of a fat molecule. If so then a high fructose diet is a high fat diet.

If you answer yes to any of these questions, it is best to favor cane
sugar over HFCS? Therefore NOT the same!

--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)