Old 03-11-2010, 04:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default High Fructose Corn Syrup

Dan L wrote:

Ok Bob, now if I want to value my liver over my pancreas, would cane
sugar put less fructose in my system over HFCS in my foods?

Would there be less work on my liver if I used regular corn syrup over
HFCS?

Also does the liver covert fructose to fat?
Therefore the structure of fructose is not that far from the structure
of a fat molecule. If so then a high fructose diet is a high fat diet.

Sucrose is 50% fructose. HFCS is between 45% and 55% fructose, same
as honey. (Starch is 100% glucose. That's why white bread has a
higher glycemic index than sugar.)

Fructose metabolism is explained about 42 minutes into this video if
you want to skip ahead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

The point is that excess sugar consumption is bad, and it doesn't
matter whether it is sugar or HFCS or honey.

Bob