Old 03-11-2010, 11:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dan L[_2_] Dan L[_2_] is offline

Default High Fructose Corn Syrup

zxcvbob wrote:
Dan L wrote:

Ok Bob, now if I want to value my liver over my pancreas, would cane
sugar put less fructose in my system over HFCS in my foods?
Would there be less work on my liver if I used regular corn syrup
over

HFCS?
Also does the liver covert fructose to fat?

Therefore the structure of fructose is not that far from the
structure
of a fat molecule. If so then a high fructose diet is a high fat
diet.

Sucrose is 50% fructose. HFCS is between 45% and 55% fructose, same
as honey. (Starch is 100% glucose. That's why white bread has a
higher glycemic index than sugar.)

Fructose metabolism is explained about 42 minutes into this video if
you want to skip ahead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

The point is that excess sugar consumption is bad, and it doesn't
matter whether it is sugar or HFCS or honey.

Bob

I have seen the video "Sugar: The bitter truth".
He is the one that states "a high fructose diet is a high fat diet".

I will agree, that EXCESS sugar is bad.
If one does consume a sweetener, perhaps it is better to consume table
sugar that has both glucose and fructose in the body over fructose
alone.

In my opinion, the more processing of the food the less balanced
nutrition is in the food. So I favor Honey for my main sweetener, then
table sugar.
--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)