Old 03-11-2010, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gopher Gopher is offline

Default Figs

In message , Charlie
Pridham writes
In article ,
says...
My fig tree (brown turkey) had a surprisingly large number of fruit on it
this year, but none of them have ripened yet. (They are still relatively
small, green and hard - I assume they are meant to colour a bit when they
are ripe?)

Is there anything I can do about it now, or is it too late?
(they are against a south facing wall)

It sounds like the first small fruits failed to overwinter for you last
year, the fruit still on the tree will not ripen now and can be removed,
next years fruits are still tiny button like buds in the axials, we ate
our last figs on 12th October from the Brown Turkey, first figs were in
late July.

Sounds similar to us.... we started mid summer and stopped about 2
weeks ago. We enjoyed a great crop - best ever. Possibly something to do
with the hard winter. We removed all those that hadn't ripened yesterday
and put them in the compost. Hope we do a well next year!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!