Old 03-11-2010, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Figs

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 16:05:00 -0000, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

In article ,
says...
Charlie Pridham wrote:
It sounds like the first small fruits failed to overwinter for you last
year, the fruit still on the tree will not ripen now and can be removed,
next years fruits are still tiny button like buds in the axials, we ate
our last figs on 12th October from the Brown Turkey, first figs were in
late July.

Ah, ok. Yes, this was the first year it had any fruit, so I guess it needed
to have baby-figs last year, which didn't come.

Do I /have/ to remove the unripe fruit, or can I just leave them to do their
own stuff?

I remove all those bigger than a small pea now

I back up Charlie's advice. Bob Flowerdew off GQT gives the same
advice. Anything bigger than a pea will not survive a cold UK winter
and will slow up the formation of new figs for next year. The better
protected the plant is the earlier it will start to fruit next year.

Pam in Bristol