Old 03-11-2010, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default West facing wall. What veg to grow?

Rusty Hinge wrote in
:

Baz wrote:

Bob, your humour went over my head, I was digging the plot with my
son all weekend and got myself a bad back trying to keep up with him.
Took me ages to get out of bed this morning so I have stayed at home
today.

You should try something lighter - a spade is favourite, and in any
case, sons can be sods to wash thoroughly after use.

I dont think I understand the term 'open aspect'. I took it to
literally mean open with no shade and full sun.

We have sown a packet(50 seeds) of Aquadulce Claudia in some of this
shaded area and we will see what happens.

Rusty Hinge and Paul Luton have responded to my enquiery and suggest
fruit bushes and it might be a good thing to plant so we wont have to
worry about crop rotation in that portion of the garden. We intend to
plant some in the garden anyway so this may be the place. It never
occured to me! If I can buy a few to plant now or soon(gooseberries
eg this will start the plot off nicely.

Gooseberries, being a hedgerow undergrowth shrub originally, will
tolerate a lot of shade. Some sun is an advantage though.

You could plant any number of bulbs - useful ones like ramsons. Some
wild anemones and winter aconites (poisonous!) like shade.

Things are comming into place in my mind now and am thankful for
everyones advice and suggestions.

There! You have to give people time to think before feeling rejected
innit.

Thanyou for your advice and suggestions.

If you had read all of this thread you would possibly have noticed that I
was not being, or feeling rejected.

You have a habit with two feet, as I sometimes have.

Baz