Old 06-11-2010, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

Default liquidambar

On 2010-11-04 08:34:49 +0000, bob said:

Does anyone have any experience of these trees? Is it known also by
another name?
I'm trying to find one that doesn't get too much taller than 4-5
metres. I wonder, does it exist and how quickly does it grow?

They're very big and very beautiful but they are NOT usually remotely
close to the size you mention as they can - and do - go to 50'.
However, I'm told there's one called Liquidambar styraciflua Gum Ball
which is a lollipop shape and grows to about 8 feet. Apparently it
has the same bright autumn colours so it might be worth your looking
for that one to see if it suits your needs.

- thanks Sacha, unfortunately I need ASAP a tree which will mask a
social housing project at the end of my (fortunately) longish garden -
a 15 metre monster 3 floors + 2 attic. The advice here has pointed to
Moonbeam but with my current mood about the impact of this I'd
probably go less reluctantly with the larger variety if my gardener is
having any trouble sourcing, especially given it's happy response to
aggressive pruning and, I guess, a faster initial growing.

My guilty secret is that I don't intend to stay here long enough for
the tree to remain my problem!!