Old 06-11-2010, 07:12 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
My intention is to get three new eating apple trees. One I would like to be
a russet.

Is a russet a russet or are there different types?
No, a russet is an apple which shows 'russetting', ie brown marking rather like that on a pear. Egremont Russet is the one most often available in supermarkets. I grow Brownlees Russet which has a rather 'dry' taste and beautiful pink blossom. Other people speak highly of Rosemary Russet.

Quote:

For the other two, I would like some recomendations as to some nice ones.
Keep away from things you find in the shops. There's no point. Consider also harvest period - some are ready early (late August) and tend not to keep well. Others ripen during the autumn, others are picked unripe in October and ripen in store to eat from December to March. And then of course there's the question of whether you want eaters or cookers.

Of the ones that I grow:

Herrings Pippin (dual purpose, autumn) has a spicy flavour, almost as if you've already sprinkled the cinnamon on it. The apples can be very large - combined with the strong taste I sometimes find I can only eat half an apple at a time. Forge (eater) at its best also has a spicy flavour.

Cornish Aromatic (eater - Dec-Mar) has a quite complex flavour, it's my favourite of the ones I grow. But it allegedly prefers a warmer climate (I'm growing it in Yorkshire!)

Worcester Permain (early), although found in supermarkets, develops its best flavour when allowed to ripen on the tree. Often described as 'strawberry like"

I don't grow it, but Keswick Codlin (cooker) dissolves into beautiful light sweet fluff when baked.

You could also consider a family tree - ie 3 varieties grafted on to one tree. The used to be pretty boring, eg golden delicious plus red delicious plus something else equally uninspiring, but I noticed at Harlow Carr some family trees with two out of three looking fairly interesting.

Have you considered what rootstock you want?