Old 06-11-2010, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Gourds?

I've seen seeds for hybrid small bottle gourds (Lagenaria) sold as
Asian vegetables. Do you cook them like squash, or what? When I
was a kid, we grew cuccuzi (cucuzzi?) squash one year, and it turned
out to be some kind of gourd -- had white flowers that opened at
night. The vines grew into the corn and went crazy. The fruit were
about the size and shape of pale green baseball bats, with
firm-but-spongy white flesh. The chickens loved them, we didn't.
(maybe we just picked them too big)

So I have thought about trying those Asian gourd seeds next year,
but afraid they might be the worst of both worlds; taste bad, and
not be any good for drying to make bottles because the shells are
too thin.

Has anybody tried them?

Bob