Old 06-11-2010, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default liquidambar

In message , lid
writes
On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 11:13:36 -0700 (PDT), Rod
wrote:

On Nov 4, 8:34*am, bob wrote:
Does anyone have any experience of these trees? Is it known also by
another name?
I'm trying to find one that doesn't get too much taller than 4-5
metres. *I wonder, does it exist and how quickly does it grow?

I have no experience of the smaller clones but the big ones are superb
if you have the space - nothing else I know goes through the gamut of
harlequin colours like they do.
I wonder if you should be looking at Liquidambar at all given your
size restriction. Perhaps some of the medium Acers or Nyssa sinensis
might be better - all of them good in the autumn colour department but
more modest sizes.

Rod

I've checked some of the pics on google and I love the look of the
tree you've suggested but as I mentioned to Sacha, I have an urgent
need for size which in the last few days has started to dominate other
considerations. I've already had half a dozen paper birch trees
planted and I wanted to get some variety so have opted for the
liquidambar whcih I suspect will be a faster grower than the Nyssa
sinensis? I appreciate the suggestion though, many thanks for that.

The Japanese maples can be stunning in autumn, but they're slow growing,
and I have the impression that they're finicky about where they grew.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley