Old 07-11-2010, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

Default liquidambar

On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 18:46:14 +0100, Emery Davis
wrote:

On 11/06/2010 09:39 AM, bob wrote:
On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 11:13:36 -0700 (PDT), Rod
wrote:

On Nov 4, 8:34 am, bob wrote:
Does anyone have any experience of these trees? Is it known also by
another name?
I'm trying to find one that doesn't get too much taller than 4-5
metres. I wonder, does it exist and how quickly does it grow?

I have no experience of the smaller clones but the big ones are superb
if you have the space - nothing else I know goes through the gamut of
harlequin colours like they do.
I wonder if you should be looking at Liquidambar at all given your
size restriction. Perhaps some of the medium Acers or Nyssa sinensis
might be better - all of them good in the autumn colour department but
more modest sizes.

Rod

I've checked some of the pics on google and I love the look of the
tree you've suggested but as I mentioned to Sacha, I have an urgent
need for size which in the last few days has started to dominate other
considerations. I've already had half a dozen paper birch trees
planted and I wanted to get some variety so have opted for the
liquidambar whcih I suspect will be a faster grower than the Nyssa
sinensis? I appreciate the suggestion though, many thanks for that.

My experience is that the Nyssas are not quick growing, but then neither
is L.s. 'Moonbeam.'

I saw a L. worplesden yesterday - apparently reaches 5metres finally.
I'm not sure about the speed.

As for maples, you might consider Acer rubrum 'Armstrong', an upright
form, somewhat like a Liquidambar, but which has been shown to average
close to 70 cm growth per year. It has excellent colour in our climate.
Another good choice would be Acer buergerianum, the trident maple,
which has a naturally bushy shape (it has to be trained into a
standard), shiny green leaves and a wonderful, long lasting autumn
display. It's a pretty quick grower once established.

On the other hand, given the situation, maybe you want something
evergreen?

I had thought about that but am less concerned about the winter aspect
and the evergreen options are evidently fewer - many thanks for the
Acer suggestions though, I'll make sure they go on the list of
possibles.

-E