Old 07-11-2010, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Bell Michael Bell is offline

Default Do "dwarf" trees breed true from seed?

In message
Michael Bell wrote:

I have found a naturally-occurring dwarf alder. It looks normal in
every way except that it hasn't grown tall, the gap between annual
whorls of branches is much shorter than the normal alders around it.

Is this trait likely to breed true from seed?

I have no particular use in mind, it just struck me as an interesting
variant.

Michael Bell

Further to this, I have looked further around and I see that there are
quite a lot of trees like this. This is obviously a plantation and
similar trees must have been together in the nursery and they most
stayed together when they were planted out.

Michael Bell