Old 07-11-2010, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_1_] Rod[_1_] is offline

Default Getting new apple trees

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

My intention is to get three new eating apple trees. One I would like to be
a russet.

Is a russet a russet or are there different types?

For the other two, I would like some recomendations as to some nice ones.

I'm not bothered about the blossom period as we already have a few various
old apple trees.

Any advice on buying also appreciated.

I shan't be doing this very often so just want to get it right.

mark

http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/

Great selection, excellent quality & service.
There are several russets to choose from of which Egremont Russet is the
best known.
Good keeper, good eating Tydemans Late Orange. It keeps easily into the New
Year and is still good. If you eat it too soon you'll find it too sharp if
you're used to supermarket apples.
Superb eater for early/mid November Topaz, a newish Czech variety. Pick it
mid Oct, eat it now - it's the apple you wish Cox's Orange Pippin was. Again
this one shouldn't be eaten straight off the tree.
Sunset - well proven Cox type, my favourite 'til I tried Topaz. This should
be eaten soon after picking.
Bramley Clone 20, more compact than most of the other clones but still buy
it on M9 rootstock if you have decent soil. All Bramleys are triploid and
therefore need at least 2 pollinators but you have that covered anyway.
Read the advice re. rootstocks on Keeper's website.

Rod