Old 07-11-2010, 10:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Persimons

On 11/7/2010 2:26 PM, Oren wrote:
Our neighbor just returned from California and gifted some Persimmons.

What shall we do with them? A little reading in Wiki helped. When ripe
would they be okay for a jam or jelly or just eat them like other
fruit?

Very close pic: (same color, etc.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Persimon.jpg

Thanks.

If they're like the one in the picture they're Fuyu persimmons
originally from Japan. Can be eaten out of hand like and apple when
ripe. If not ripe set them on the counter until they get just a little
soft and then eat.

We have a FUYU tree and I peel the simmon, take out the pips, then run
through the food processor until finely chopped, ie. mash. I then freeze
the puree on a bun sheet, cut it to two-cup size with a pizza cutter and
vacuum bag for later use. I have also just chopped them up and put them
in sealable freezer containers for later use.

I have made jam from them but didn't find it very tasty myself.

You can find a multitude of recipes for them on line. HTH