Old 08-11-2010, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Somewhat OT ... regards chestnuts

On 08/11/2010 18:36, 'Mike' wrote:
wrote in message
Talking to friends recently, I was told that they keep "old chestnuts"
(horse chestnuts, that is) in the four corners of each room in order to
deter spiders. It is supposed to be an old remedy. I have never heard of
this before and can't imagine what can be in chestnuts which so offends
spiders.

Can anyone shed any light on this? My friends didn't seem to know how it
worked, but seemed to think that it did. Don't get me wrong: I still love
spiders, but there are places where I'd rather they didn't set up home!
--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

My daughter and son in law have Horse Chestnuts in most rooms of their house
for the same reason ............................... and it works. They have
plenty of Horse Chestnut trees in their grounds so are never short of them
:-))

Give it a try :-)

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I'll have to go on a conker hunt then