Old 09-11-2010, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fireworks and chickens

"Baz" wrote in message
wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
Since mid October we have had only a few eggs.
Could this be due to some people letting off fireworks and scaring
the chickens?

I would have thought it's because the days are getting shorter.
Our really reliable white chicken who used to lay nearly every day has
stopped laying. :-( She seems to have a bit of a bare bottom, so
guess she is either moulting, or someone is bullying her (which is a
bit ironic, cos she used to be the coop bully!)

Its a rat, or a few of the sodding things.
Or it could be a cockeral, or both.
We came home late last night after a firework display and my torch found a
few eyes and they werent rabbits!
Also one of the little fluffy pullets bought to replace some which I am
told are getting old, turns out to be a cockeral.

After reading your bullying thing, we have seen that sort of behaviour and
bearing everything in mind with the rats we are definetly getting rid.

It has been a sound enough experience I would say but not for us at the
moment.
We will miss the eggs and their sh@t to compost.

I hope you're not considering get rid of your chickens because of a few
rats. You almost always get rats when you keep chickens, the food attracts
them.

I deal with this by getting the terrier men in every couple of months, we
had a rat hunt here at the weekend with 4 terriers, 3 Patterdales & a
Lakeland.
I used to use poison but decided it was cruel.
There are lots of men all over the country with working terriers who would
like to exercise them on your rats, a free of charge vermin control service.
If anyone is interested, just say, I'll give you a website.
Tina