Old 10-11-2010, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Raspberry Varieties

On Nov 8, 10:30*am, Rusty Hinge
wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:
Rusty Hinge wrote:
But Brittany is P-Celtic, not Q- of that ilk.
Some words - many words - were common to more than one branch, and
many have made their way into English - Lon Don (brown pool) for
instance,

Pwll the other one --it'll go "Dong!"

The Romans came, saw, and added 'ium' when thet didn't make-up new names
(for largely new settlements. Imagine the mapmaker and interreter -
Points at settlement next to river: "Quis hic?"
Interretor, pityingly, "Ha lon don."
"Londonium!"
"Ha nil, lon don.
"Londinium!
"Shaw ma ha, quisquis..."

Since no Gaeic language AFAWK was written, I've taken the liberty of
phoneticising (translating into Phoenecian...) the Celtic reaponses.

It should be noted that while there were several Gaelic languages used
in the British Isle, there was one which had speakers in every region,
from Lands's End to John O'Groats.

and pol, Llan/Clan, lix/lax, du/dubh, and a host of others.

Come, come, my dear sir! That hardly makes Brittany one of the
"Gaelic-speaking communities."

While it is.

(BTW, and not connected, the Romans reported that the folk of
Bristo(l) had a habit of appending an 'l' to a lot of words.

The Romans knew about Anglo-Saxon speech habits? Must have been after
the locals became not Angles, but angels.

Anglo-Saxons are likely to have picked-up local idiom, either
unconciously or mockingly, as in the latter, largely, today.

Adge Cutler Virtute et Industrial! /Adge

See?

--
Rusty

Your imaginative heterodoxy is always deeply refreshing to those of us
of a more cautious inclination.

(Apologies for the delay: my machine is unwell.)

--
Mike.