Old 11-11-2010, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.environment
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default Gardener Tax

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
. fr...
On 10/11/2010 19:00, Bob Hobden wrote:

The alternative is you cart it to the Council Recycling Site in your
car. If you try it in a van, I have a Landrover 90 hardtop just for such
things, you have to have a Surrey County Council Waste Licence.

My father asked me to take some of his rubbish to the recycling site on my
last visit to England in my French registered van, but they wouldn't
accept a van, so it resulted in a big bonfire on his yard instead.

Many CCs have restrictive regs now, which like all "environmental" laws, are
causing the environment more harm than the good they are in theory trying to
achieve. At county hall, paperwork is reality, and our reality is just an
inconvenience. Common sense of course, is not in their vocabulary.

One of my neighbours took a mattress and nothing else to the local recycling
site. They wouldn't let him in with it because it was in a pick-up truck.
"It's trade waste, that is" he was told. " No, it's a mattress from my
daughter's bedroom" says he. A long discussion/argument ensued, with the
predictable "rules is rules" having the final say. So he brought it back to
the estate and dumped it on a grass verge. The council then sent two men in
a pick-up truck to collect it and take it to the council depot which is 5
miles further away than the site it was rejected from. Doubtless this
entailed loads of form-filling in the process, thus protecting the
environment.

Steve