Old 11-11-2010, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Conifer and evergreen shrub hedging recommendations

On 11/11/2010 10:37, echinosum wrote:
Julian200;904914 Wrote:
conifers that grow to about 8-10ft high

Ah, the mythical conifer that grows quickly to hedge height and stops.
If you find one, do tell.

Actually some of the yellow cultivars will do that roughly but they take
a lot longer than their more vigorous cousins.

Lonicera nitida has a couple of golden yellow culivars with fine leaves
and sets holly off nicely. I is also fairly quick growing and new growth
is easy to trim. I also have holly, pivet, cotoneaster and beech in my
hedge which keeps its leaves all winter as golden brown. Chunks of 6-8'
the same look good. Some cotoneasters lose their leaves in winter
particularly in harsh conditions.

Regards,
Martin Brown