Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Dave Painter

Default Is a 6ft tank too big?

stacey morris wrote in message
Hi
Ive got a 72"X18"X19" Seabray dolphin tank that I have used for
Oscars, now sadly gone. Ive been thinking about and studying the
possibility of using it for a large planted tank. My biggest worry so
far is the amount of lighting to be used, at least 4 x 4ft strip
lamps. Its not the cost of the bulbs so much as the control units and
reflectors etc.
Ive priced these up at at least £110 UK prices (about $175 us)
Any ideas for a cheaper setup available in the UK? Im reading a lot
about compact fluorescents, but cant find any info on what they
connect to. They look like curly strip lamps and are quite cheap.
Any help would be gratefully received, I keep going around in circles.
My main aim would be a low tech planted aquarium in a Diana L.
Walstada kind of stlye.

Light one end of the tank,
plant under the lights and let the planting drop down to bare substrate.
It is what I did on my 5 foot tank, couldn't afford the control unit for
a bigger lamp so stuck with a three foot tube.

Reflectors can be simple, use cooking foil (turkey size is good)
paste to the inside of the hood and replace when you can afford
'better'.

Dave