Old 12-11-2010, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default Water on allotments

"mogga" wrote in message
Is anyone on an allotment without water to the site?
How do you manage? Is it possible to collect enough rainwater? (I
suspect not...)

--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

Ours has no water provided. We have fixed up guttering and downpipes from
both sides
of the shed, and collect from both sides of the greenhouse. Also one of the
neighbouring houses did this -
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...t152008005.jpg

for us, which was good of him, but was done primarily because it was easier
for his guttering contractors due to lack of space that side of his garage.
We scrounge water tanks off the plumbers whenever we see the telltale signs
of boiler replacement going on. We will have 9 tanks minimum next year. But
we still had to take water with us(in yet another scrounged tank in the back
of the truck) in the hot spell in June, and still our
spuds have dry scab, despite my pouring water into these -

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...f/P1010016.jpg

perforated pipes which I bury with the seed potatoes. All the pipes came
from skips/Freecycle etc, I never buy anything other than seeds and seed
potatoes etc for the allotment.

But you're right, even with all this, it's still difficult to get enough
water to the crops.

Steve