Old 12-11-2010, 09:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default Been looking for a device for attaching vines

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 15:21:00 -0600, George Shirley
wrote:

On 11/11/2010 3:33 PM, Bill who putters wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

In ,
Bill who wrote:

In ,
Bill who wrote:

I've had a 1.5 inch nail that had soft lead attached to it. Theory
was to drive in the nail then fold the lead over the vine. Trouble is I
can't remember what it is called. Any idea?

PS Truth be known I use it for adding weight to my toilet flapper but
it was designed for holding up vines. Just got in from looking about in
my garage and found all sorts of things I forgot I had but came up empty
on the vine lead spike.

Sorry to bother you.

just found

http://www.epinions.com/prices/Bosme...aded_Vine_Supp
ort_Nails_Bosmere

Bill, out of curiosity, tell me why you can't use string or strips of
cloth to secure the vine.

These were designed to attach to brick walls or dead hard wood. I saw
the use also a way to add lead weight to almost anything in an
environment under water. My toilets. Seems they are good for about ten
years here under water.
The he original use is viable too but I in my plant world I use twine
and these things.

I like Velcro ties but it seem the best were replaced with lesser
quality and now if I go here

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/c-225-tre...ips-twine.aspx

I find nothing of use.

At least my old stuff is viable for awhile.

We use cotton twine to tie stuff up, including tomato plants and other
veggies. Lots cheaper than any of the other stuff and is biodegradable.
At the end of the season I just toss the used twine into the compost
heap and it's gone by next spring.

Have also used torn panty hose, stretchable, knots nicely, already been
paid for once so no further charge. That goes into the trash when it's
worn out. On occasion have used old cotton tee shirts torn into strips,
those pieces get composted too.

I use nylon stockings too. I bought a bag full of them for a couple
of dollars several years back. Still have plenty. They work very
well on tomato plants and do not cut the stems.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills