Old 13-11-2010, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mogga mogga is offline

Default Water on allotments

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 11:39:04 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

As I said, get together and ask the canal owner, British Waterways or the
Environment Agency or whoever, if you can abstract water. They can only say
no and they may say yes if they have a good supply to that part of the
canal. (are there any streams that come off the canal?)

There's a weir overflow just across from the corner of the field which
then goes into a local brook.

It goes without saying, get it in writing!
Then you need to all get together and buy a diesel pump (which are not
cheap) together with the correct sprinklers etc.
For example... http://www.justgenerators.co.uk/page...hwaterpump.htm ,
but if others are not prepared for the expense it's all off anyway.

Alternatively get together and get a bore hole drilled but they are very
expensive although the allotment site owners may be prepared to foot some of
the bill as it would improve their site.

Thanks!
We will have to look at this ... at the moment we've only just set up
the group ... and the council are getting all allotment groups to be
self-managed so we have lots of stuff to look at.

--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk