Old 13-11-2010, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Water on allotments

"Baz" wrote in message
mogga wrote in
:

Is anyone on an allotment without water to the site?
How do you manage? Is it possible to collect enough rainwater? (I
suspect not...)

How do others on the site manage?

No point in having an allotment otherwise.

There must be a way! Surely?

In N/Lincs here we have drains(which are similar to canals) which flow
into
canals because our land is pan flat, and of course the excess water flows
into the canal via the drains. Then into the River Humber, and all over
again.
We are lucky in this way.
Our summer in Sunny Scunny can be very unpredictable and sometimes we have
a hosepipe ban, with all that water hanging around!

My garden is always watered with either the hose or water we collect, but
it will be illegal.
The water I collect does not belong to me! Nor God.
It belongs to Severn Trent and Anglian Water companies.

Baz

Sorry Baz. wrong

Rain water landing on your land is yours.

Rain water landing on the public highway belongs to the Highway Authority

HOWEVER, once the water is in the drain, it belongs to the Water Authority
and they have the right to say 'No you are not putting that rainwater down
our drains'. It has taken a very long battle with the Council and the Water
Authority to get some drains in to get rid of the flooding in the road
outside my garage and hardstanding. (Mustn't call it a drive it upsets
people on this newsgroup;-)

I won because of the ownership of the water and the possible damage which
could be caused. About 10 years it took, but I won :-))))))

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.