Old 13-11-2010, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Conifer and evergreen shrub hedging recommendations

On 11/11/2010 10:17, Julian200 wrote:
Hi, My garden is looking a little bare at the moment so I am looking to
place a few ornamental conifers around, to add stucture and winter
interest. I am looking for lighter greens and yellows, and conifers
that grow to about 8-10ft high, I thought of Thuja "emerald green" for
one of them, and there is also a conifer called "goldcrest" I see for
sale alot but I don't know how hardy they are, and seem to get differing
information on how tall they will get, I am in one of the colder parts
of the UK, so they need to be hardy, any other conifer recommendarions?

I would also like some ideas for evergreen shrubs I can use to form a
mixed evergreen hedge, I am going to use different varieties of Holly
for most the hedge, but would like some other species to mix with it
that will grow to about 10ft and will not lose leaves or go brown in
cold winters.
I was thinking of cotoneaster lacteus and berberis julianae, to mix with
the holly, would these be hardy and look ok with the holly? and any
other recommendations would be welcome! Thanks

A possible alternative would be one of the Aucuba japonica cultivars.
Hardy to -15°C, and IME pest-free.

--

Jeff